Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award
** NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED**
SAME created the Academy of Fellows Mentoring Award in 2004 to recognize SAME Fellows for outstanding mentoring efforts. The first award was presented in March 2005. Awards are presented each March for the previous year.
In 2009, the SAME Board of Direction renamed the award the Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award
in honor of the founder of the Academy of Fellows. Brig. Gen. Gerald C. “Jed” Brown, USA (Ret.), chaired the working group that formalized organizing the Fellows into an Academy in 1994 and served as the first chair of the Academy. Nearly all the workings of the Academy in place today were formulated under the leadership of Gen. Brown.
The Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award is inspired from the pledge the Fellows take when invested:
"I charge you to be a mentor. A Fellow sets and abides by the highest ethical standards. A Fellow espouses continual professional development. A Fellow shares knowledge of the professional with members and non-members."
Candidate must be an active SAME member and Fellow.
Nomination Criteria: The nomination will be evaluated based in the following criteria:
- Advocate - Arrange for the mentee to participate in high- visibility activities within your organization and in SAME-sponsored events.
- Advisor - Communicate the formal and informal realities of career progression; recommend beneficial training; review mentee's professional development plan.
- Communicator - Establish an environment for open interaction with young members; act as a sounding board for ideas and career concerns.
- Coach - Teach managerial and technical skills; recommend specific behaviors for success; encourage Young Members to take leadership roles in SAME.
- Sponsor - Take Young Member to SAME meetings and introduce to colleagues; connect Young Members with educational and employment opportunities.
Nomination Process: Nominations for this award must be made by an SAME member and endorsed by a Post President or member of the National Board of Direction, using the SAME nomination form. The Post President or member of the National Board of Direction endorsing the nomination will verify that the Fellow meets the eligibility criteria for the award, and that the nomination package provides information to support each of the nomination criteria and all required nominee information.
- Narrative Template for Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award
Past Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award Recipients
2016 Col. Robert Keyser, P.E., F. SAME, USA (Ret.)
2015 Philios Angelides, P.E., F.SAME
2014 Col. Louis. K. “Kent” Lancaster, F.SAME, USAF (Ret.)
2013 Col. Kurt Ubbelohde, F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
2012 Capt. James Donahue, P.E., F.SAME, USCG (Ret.)
2011 Gerald W. “Jerry” Adams, F.SAME
2010 Linda McKnight, F.SAME / Lt. Col. Scott Prosuch, F.SAME, USA (Ret.)
2009 Lt. Col. Mary Matthews Hains, P.E., F.SAME, USAF (Ret.)
2008 Capt. D. Karin Lynn, P.E., F.SAME, USN (Ret.)
2007 Col. Richard "Dick" Kochanek, F.SAME, USAF (Ret.)
2006 Mr. Matthew Harvey, P.E., F.SAME
2005 Maj. Gen. Joseph A. "Bud" Ahearn, P.E., F.SAME, USAF (Ret.)
2004 Lt. Col. Wendell L. "Buddy" Barnes, P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.)