SAME Seattle Post Veterans Transition Support Program
L. David Tyner, III
October 9, 2015
Phone: (206) 979-5889
Key Committee Members
Phone: (425) 455-2959
Phone: (206) 769-1775
Provide assistance to Veterans seeking employment opportunities within the engineering, architectural, Planning, construction and environmental sectors.
Obtain commitment of 6-8 Seattle post Sustainer firms to "champion" a transition process that gives excellent exposure to Veterans seeking employment in the engineering, architectural, planning, construction and environmental sectors. Additionally, the committee will also identify between 50-70 smaller SAME firms who express an interest in participating in this process.
- STEP 1: IDENTIFICATION OF MENTOR FIRMS Interested Veterans who are in transition to civilian employment will have their resumes sent to Seattle SAME post members who have committed to the program. Those firms will decide upon applicants whom they are interested in and respond directly to the applicants. Firms who engage interested Veterans will be identified as "mentor firms".
- STEP 2: COMMITMENT OF MENTOR FIRMS
• Initial period of commitment is 6 months
• Mentor firm is to mentor selected veteran applicants within the "mentors" organization for two to four hours a week
- STEP 3: RESPONSIBILITIES OF MENTOR FIRMS
• Arrange one on one interviews and/or mentoring sessions with senior staff and/or a human resources representative
• Review veteran's resumes and provide editing and formatting support as required
• Provide assistance/integration with SAME National Veterans Outreach Program
• Sponsor candidates attendance at 2 to 4 SAME Seattle post functions (luncheons/social networking opportunities)
• Provide introductions to potential employers
MENTOR FIRMS RECEIVE RECOGNITION
• Mentor firms will be identified as a veteran transition mentoring firm at SAME Seattle post functions, in the SAME Seattle Post newsletter and on the SAME website
• Mentor firms will be given a formal notice of participation to all regional DOD agencies
PARTNERSHIP WITH RALLY POINT 6
The Seattle SAME Post and Rally Point 6 (RP6) collaborate to assist veterans in transition to civilian life. Through the Post's Veterans Assistance Program, we link veterans referred to us by RP6 in the Design and Construction Management field with the Seattle SAME Post Mentor Base. Please visit their website to learn more about all of the crucial services RP6 provides.