Contact Us | Member Login | Join Now
Please review all criteria sections before submitting the online nomination form located at the bottom of this page.
To be considered for acceptance into the Academy of Fellows, an individual must:
Individuals who demonstrate dedicated and outstanding service in one area and not both (SAME and the Engineering Community) will not be approved for Fellowship. The term “engineering community” is broadly defined to include any member of SAME who directly or indirectly supports the profession of engineering through activities such as planning, design, construction, business development, education, research and development, etc.Nominations must clearly and concisely convey the nominee’s contributions in each of the two service categories by explaining their contributions and the impact of these contributions both on the Society and on the engineering community. The Academy is comprised of Fellows who have stretched the limits to create new processes, new ways of doing business, new techniques, etc. that have substantially improved the accepted norm. That must be shown in each nomination. Each nominee will be evaluated on the bases of the information contained in the nomination package. The Nomination and Selection Committee will not add information or make assumptions about a nominee so it is critical that the nomination package sufficiently convey the nominee’s contributions. When evaluating a nomination, the Nomination and Selection Committee will generally apply the values listed below to the requested information. All nominees must obtain at least 70 percent, and all the mandatory requirements must be completed for consideration into the Academy. Nominee information – mandatorySociety Leadership positions – 10 percentOutstanding Service to SAME – 45 percentOutstanding Service to Engineering Profession – 35 percentAwards and Honors – 10 percentCitation – mandatoryNominator’s information – mandatoryEndorsements – mandatory
1. NOMINEE INFORMATION:Prefix/RankFirst NameMiddle InitialLast NameProfessional Designation (P.E., Ph.D., AIA, CFM, CCM, PMP, F.E., EIT, RA, etc.; please include N/A if no designations are applicable)Membership NumberNominee’s Years of SAME MembershipAddress Type: Work/HomePreferred Mailing AddressPreferred Telephone No.Preferred Email AddressName of EmployerNominating Post
2. SAME LEADERSHIP POSITIONS: List elected and appointed leadership positions and dates held at Post, Regional and/or National levels in chronological order, latest first. These can include committee assignments. List only please. 3. OUTSTANDING SERVICE TO SAME:a. For each SAME leadership position or committee assignment listed in 2, describe the achievements accomplished while in the position and the benefit(s) to the Post, Region or Headquarters. Cite activities such as: mentoring and/or enhancing students’ and Young Members’ involvement with SAME; increasing SAME membership; leading training and education achievements; making presentations at SAME meetings and conferences; building relationships between the private sector and government; involvement in joint engineering operations, emergency preparedness and response in furtherance of national defense and homeland security; forming or participating in partnerships and alliances with other professional societies and related associations; supporting community outreach; and efforts toward the achievement of other goals and objectives set forth in the SAME Strategic Plan.
b. Close with an explanation of why the achievements overall should be considered “outstanding.”
c. Explain what further efforts the nominee is planning to make on behalf of SAME should the nominee be selected as a Fellow.
d. All of the above (a., b. and c.) is to be completed in 1,600 words or less, and please use a font size no smaller than 11.
4. OUTSTANDING SERVICE TO THE ENGINEERING PROFESSION:a. List in chronological order, latest first, positions the nominee has held for at least the past ten years and the dates. For the positions, describe the achievements accomplished while in the position and the benefit(s) that followed. Cite contributions and activities that demonstrate “outstanding service” to the engineering profession, such as: developing and implementing innovative approaches in managing significant engineering projects; mentoring young engineers and/or inspiring students to become engineers; preparing proposals for significant engineering and related studies and projects; participation in community outreach to promote the public’s understanding of the contributions of the engineering profession to the quality of life; research, development and technology transfer of engineering and related technology; teaching engineering and related subjects to advance the engineering professional and participation on professional committees and groups; publishing professional articles; and any other efforts that advance the engineering profession. b. Close with an explanation of why these efforts should overall be considered “outstanding.” c. All of the above (a. and b.) is to be completed in no more than 1,200 words, with a font size no smaller than 11.
5. AWARDS AND CITATIONS:List professional, SAME and community service awards or honors received by the nominee. Provide the name and description of the award and explain what it was the nominee did to be selected to receive the award or honor.
6. CITATION FOR THE INVESTITURE CEREMONY BROCHURE:Compose a citation, in 200 words or less, summarizing the nominee’s SAME and career achievements, for inclusion in the Investiture Ceremony brochure. (Note: SAME HQ will edit and provide to nominee for updating and further editing prior to publication.)
7. NOMINATOR INFORMATION: (Note: Only a Society Fellow may nominate a member for recognition as a Fellow.)Nominator Full NameGrade/Position/TitleNominator Email AddressNominator SAME Membership NumberAddress Type: Work/Home Preferred Mailing Address
SAME Academy of Fellows Online Nomination Form
Nominees Years of SAME Membership
Preferred Telephone No.:
Preferred Email Address:
Preferred Mailing Address:
Name of Employer:
Nominating SAME Post:
Please upload your completed nomination package using the field below. The package should include items 1 through 7 as noted in the Criteria and the Nomination Format. Your file may be in either Word or PDF format.
The strength of each nomination package will be measured by the quality (not quantity) of information. Adhering to the Criteria as noted and following the Nomination Format enhances the opportunity for a candidate to have a favorable review.
Click here to review the Fellow's Nominations Criteria and Form Information. [PDF].
Upload Your Nominaton Package:
The nominee has reviewed this nomination/narrative for accuracy:
Your Full Name:
Your Email Address:
Your SAME Member Number:
Your Preferred Mailing Address:
Every nomination must include four additional endorsements beyond that of the Nominator, two of which must be from Society Fellows. One of the four must be the endorsement of the Post President of the primary Post of the nominee (if the Post President is the nominee, the endorsement can come from another Post officer), and one of the four must be the endorsement of the Regional Vice President (RVP) (if the RVP is the nominee, the endorsement of the past RVP can be substituted). There can be overlap but no double counting. For example, the Post President may be a Fellow, and that endorsement can be considered as the President’s endorsement and also as the endorsement of a Fellow, but there still must be four separate endorsements, not counting the Nominator as an endorsement. Each endorsement should be no longer than 400 words and with a font size of 11 or greater.
It is mandatory to upload a written endorsement with the endorser's information. If the nominee is the Post President, the endorsement should be from a Past Post President who knows the nominee.
Upload the written endorsement of the Post President here:
It is mandatory to upload a written endorsement with the endorser's information. If the nominee is the RVP, the endorsement should come from the previous RVP.
Upload the written endorsement of the RVP here:
It is mandatory to upload a written endorsement with the endorser's information.
Upload their written endorsement here:
Thank you for your Fellows nomination! If you have any questions on the nomination process, please contact Dana Bach, SAME Administrative Assistant, at email@example.com, or by telephone at 703-549-3800 ext. 112.
On Demand Webinars
Find a Post
Find a Job
Advertise in TME magazine
STEM Activities and Resources
Academy of Fellows
Presentations from Past SAME Events