For the fourth year, SAME is providing the opportunity for Sixteen Young Members (aged 39 and under) to attend the Emerging Leaders Alliance (ELA) Conference. The ELA Conference is scheduled for November 8-11, 2015, in Reston, Va.
The Emerging Leaders Alliance (http://emergingleadersalliance.org) seeks to foster leadership in the engineering and scientific community. Each year, they host a three-day, multi-disciplinary leadership training conference for select professionals in the engineering, research and science industry, promoting the development of great leaders to guide our professions in addressing the needs of people in the 21st century.
Registration fees and three nights in the conference hotel will be covered for SAME Young Members who are accepted into the program and sponsored by the SAME Academy of Fellows; other travel expenses will need to be covered by the attendee’s command or firm, or by their local Post.
1. Young Member (Civilian or Military) who is age 39 or under as of November 12, 2014.
2. A Join Date before January 1, 2013 [Note: Stipend recipients are expected to have at least 18 months of membership in SAME prior to being awarded a stipend]
3. Active member of an SAME Post, Field Chapter or National Committee or Council for the past year (as reflected in the nomination form).
4. A letter of endorsement from the Post President.
5. Applicants who are sponsored by SAME are not eligible to be sponsored more than once for this Leadership Program.
6. Before accepting the sponsorship, nominees must obtain approval from their supervisor and Federal employees (military and civil service) should seek the advice from their local ethics counsellor regarding the acceptance of the stipend.
Nomination Process: This year, SAME secured 16 conference attendee allocations (twice as many as last year). As such, each Region earns one attendee. SAME Posts may nominate one Young Member for consideration. Post nominations will be submitted to the Regional Vice President (RVP). The RVP, in concert with the Regional Fellow POC, will review applications and nominate up to two Young Members, a primary and alternate attendee, to SAME for consideration. The primary will automatically earn a sponsorship. In the event one or more Regions do not nominate an attendee, then a panel of Fellows will review the Regional Alternates’ applications and make selections to fill any remaining ELA Conference slots.
Application Process: Each RVP submits a primary and alternate nominee online at www.same.org/stipends no later than July 31, 2015. Application criteria include:
1. Endorsement letter(s). Endorsement from the Post President is required; other endorsement letters are accepted and encouraged.
2. SAME Participation and Leadership on the Post and/or National levels.
3. Professional Accomplishments and Recognition.
4. Professional Development.
Upon Regional selection, RVPs must ensure their nominees' applications are submitted to SAME HQ no later than July 31, 2015. Young Members interested in attending the ELA Conference should contact their RVPs to gather information on the Regional selection process and timeline.
Please note that public registration also is available for those who are interested in attending but do not receive a sponsorship. A link to the public registration site is available at www.emergingleadersalliance.org. On-demand training is also available online at the ELA website.
Project Acquisition & Delivery
Climate Change: Resilience & Adaptation