On June 21, 2012, the SAME Charleston Post awarded a total of $13,000 in scholarships to five high school seniors and five college students in North Charleston, S.C. The Charleston Post Scholarship Program aids qualified and interested students who desire an education and career in engineering, architecture, science, math, or a related field of study.
Charleston Post received a high number of applicants from students belonging to various high schools and universities in the area. Due to the growth and success of the Post during the last several years, a record number of scholarships were awarded, contributing to the $1 million scholarships SAME Posts award annually around the globe.
Each of the five high school seniors who were chosen for the award received $1,000. Four college students received $1,500 each while Mellissa Jackson, a Clemson University engineering student, received $2,000.
Congratulations to the 2012 Charleston Post scholarship awardees!
High School Scholarship Recipients
- Addison Lucas, Ridge View High School- Lucas will be attending the University of South Carolina majoring in Civil Engineering. Lucus is a member of the National Technical Honor Society and the Varsity Soccer Team. He has participated in mission trips to Mexico, Mobile, and Charlotte as a member of the Spring Valley Presbyterian Youth Group.
- Karl Noble, Garrett Academy of Technology- Noble will be attending Clemson University majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Noble is the President of the National Honors Society, member of the National Technical Honors Society, Varsity Football Captain, Varsity Soccer Captain, and member of the Distinguished Gentlemen’s Club.
- Davis Reed, Bishop England High School- Reed will be attending Clemson University (Calhoun Honors College) majoring in Bioengineering. Reed is the 2012 Bishop England Valedictorian, member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, High School Leader in Middle School Ministry, and active in multiple athletic activities.
- Nathan Smith, Stratford High School- Smith will be attending Clemson University (Calhoun Honors College) or Furman majoring in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Biology. Smith is a Club Secretary of the National Honor Society, member of the National Beta Club, Senior Class Secretary of the Student Government Association and Senior Board Organization, production manager of the Broadcast “Real TV” School News program, and active in multiple athletic activities.
- Bailey Walker, Summerville High School- Walker will be attending Clemson University (Calhoun Honors College) majoring in Bioengineering. Walker is a member of the National Honor Society, Trident Medical Center Junior Volunteer, Summerville High School Competitive Performance Ensemble squad leader, French National Honor Society, Student Council, Beta Club, School Improvement Council, President Eisenhower People to People Ambassador, Plant Club, Model United Nations representing Egypt in competition, and a chemistry lab assistant.
College Scholarship Recipients
- Matthew Delavega, The Citadel- Delavega is majoring in Civil Engineering. Delavega is a student member of the SAME Charleston Post, Tau Bet Pi Engineering Honor Society, NROTC, ASCE, and the Citadel Trident Society. He was selected for the Seaman to Admiral 21 program and is a recipient of the US Navy NNPTC Personal Excellence Award.
- Christine Fletcher, Clemson University- Fletcher is majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Fletcher is the social chair of the Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineer Honors, and member of the Alpha Lamda Delta General Engineering Honors, intramural soccer and Ultimate Frisbee, National Society of the Collegiate Scholars, Baja SAE team, and undergraduate Mechanical Engineering Student Council.
- Zachary Messick, Clemson University- Messick is majoring in Biomedical Engineering. Messick has been part of the RISE community and multiple intramural sports. Messick organized a non-profit organization to assist middle school musicians who can’t afford to rent musical instruments or take private lessons.
- Robert O’Brien III, Clemson University- O’Brien is majoring in Electrical Engineering. O’Brian is a member of the Dean’s List, President’s List, Phi Sigma Pi, Alpha Lambda Delta, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Clemson Cross Country Club, National Intercollegiate Running Club Association, and Intramural Ultimate Frisbee.
- Mellissa Jackson, Clemson University- Jackson continues to excel into her second year of a multiple year scholarship attending Clemson University majoring in Engineering. Jackson is active in the Presbyterian Students Association (PSA) and intramural basketball. She lived in a “living-learning” environment called RISE (Residents In Science and Engineering).
Go to samecharleston.com to learn more about the Post and their scholarship program. For more information, please contact Liz Moore, Publicity Director, SAME Charleston Post at