David M. Fraser Award
The David M. Fraser Award for Engineering Excellence and Leadership is named for a Class of 2004 graduate of the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point. While a cadet, David Fraser excelled as a student, leader and athlete. A civil engineering major, he designed and built a pedestrian bridge near the West Point Youth Activities Center as his senior project.
First presented in 2011, the David M. Fraser plaque is awarded each year at the Engineer Dinner sponsored by SAME and the Army Engineer Association. Awardees are entitled to a SAME Career Membership as long as they remain in uniform – active, guard or reserves. A stipend to attend a future SAME Joint Engineer Training Conference (JETC) – reimbursement up to $1,250.00 for registration fee, airfare and hotel is also provided.
Fraser was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Corps of Engineers in May 2004 and was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 4th Brigade, 4th Infantry Division at Fort Hood, Texas. He was killed in action while deployed in Iraq.
- USMA First Class Cadet who has Branched Engineers and will be receiving a degree in one of the following discipline
Engineering Management (Various ABET tracks)
- A minimum 3.0 CQPA (Cumulative Quality Point Average - Academic, Military and Physical)
- An informal leader and role model in the graduating class.
- Has taken part in engineer related activities, including, but not limited to:
■ Sapper school
■ Engineering-related AIAD
■ SAME Student Chapter leader, organizer, member
■ Community service tied to engineering effort
- The Engineer Branch Representative sends a note to all cadets who branched Engineers listing the above award guidelines and soliciting nominations.
- The nomination would include a short synopsis of how the nominee meets the award guidelines.
- A faculty committee (C&ME, SE, CHEM, PANE, EECS and GENE Representatives) reviews the nominations and establishes the list of nominees who meet the eligibility criteria.
- The Engineer Branch Representative sends the list of eligible contenders to all cadets who have branched Engineers requesting their vote for the top two candidates.
- The award recipient is selected based on cadet voting. If a tie occurs, the faculty committee would break the tie. Only one award will be made.
Past David M. Fraser Award Recipients
- 2018 Cadet Sophia Schwanebeck
- 2017 Cadet Zachary Cohen
- 2016 Cadet Blake Bequette
- 2013 Cadet Ryan S. Leets
- 2012 Cadet Douglass Brance Waggoman
- 2011 Cadet Erin Anthony, Civil Engineering