About the Post
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) brings together the public and private sectors across the architecture, engineering, construction, environmental, facility management, cyber security and related disciplines to find solutions to real world problems in support of national security. In support of this mission, the Central Virginia Post, headquartered at Fort Lee, is continually looking for ways to serve the architecture, engineering and construction community; and local, federal and state agencies in the region.
Our community outreach efforts have two points of focus: STEM education and supporting local veterans. We host an annual golf tournament each year as a fundraiser, with the proceeds split to support STEM and veteran outreach efforts.
Building the next generation of engineers is important. Each year, we sponsor two to three students from the Ft. Lee-surrounding area to attend SAME-sponsored STEM camps. We have also provided financial support to the Appomattox Regional Governors School Robotics Team for the past two years and are planning continue this year. This year, to support the Ft. Lee community, we were also able to collect dozens of bags of school supplies and more than 30 backpacks for all Petersburg Public School students.
In addition to the funds raised at our annual golf tournament, volunteers from our Post serve breakfast at the Hunter Holmes McGuire Richmond VA Medical Center’s Fisher House throughout the year. And last year, we began a new annual initiative to collect items for the Hunter Holmes McGuire Richmond VA Medical Center that the annual operating budget does not allow them to purchase directly.
We are proud to be the Society's Top Small Post for 2016 and 2017.
Mission, Vision, Values
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), the premier professional military engineering association in the United States, unites architecture, engineering construction (A/E/C), facility management and environmental entities and individuals in the public and private sectors to prepare for—and overcome—natural and manmade disasters, and to improve security at home and abroad.
The SAME Mission
“Build leaders and lead collaboration among government and industry to develop multidisciplined solutions to national security infrastructure challenges.”
The SAME Vision
“Serve our nation as the foremost integrator for leadership development and technical collaboration within the A/E/C profession.”
The SAME Values
- Integrity: Unwavering commitment to always do what is right, regardless of consequences.
- Patriotism: Support our national ideals and take pride in our country.
- Public Service: Recognize the critical contribution that public servants make in supporting the economic and environmental needs of the nation.
- National Security: Recognize the dedication of our national security team, comprised of the uniformed services, civil service and contractors, in defending freedom.
- Technical Competence: Deliver high-quality solutions.
- Excellence: Strive for the highest standards of performance in all actions, both personal and professional.
- Environmental Stewardship: Preserve, protect, conserve and restore our national resources through sustainable development.