STEM Volunteer Opportunities
SAME Charleston supports STEM competitions by providing volunteers to support the events in various capacities. Below are the current opportunities to volunteer your time to a STEM event. Please remember to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your volunteer time so that we can track it for our yearly streamer.
Lowcountry Science Fair
Host: Lowcountry Hall of Science and Math
Volunteers Needed: Judges
Dates Volunteers Needed For: March 8-12, 2021
Description: This year's Science Fair will be held virtually in March 2021. Judges are required to watch the video submissions from the contestants. The deadline for submitting the videos will be March 5, 2021. Each video (no longer than 5 minutes) and the other electronic documents associated with them will be sent to the corresponding judges immediately after the deadlines. Judges will complete the process with the held of a grading rubric (to be provided electronically by LHSM). The online judgement will take place during the week of March 8-12, 2021. Judges will be notified their category and division a week before the competition.
Volunteer Registration Link: http://blogs.cofc.edu/lowcountryhall/2021/01/07/2021-lrsef-online-registration-for-judges/
Host: Army Educational Outreach Program
Volunteers Needed: Ambassadors, Cyber-Guides, and Virtual Judges
Dates Volunteers Needed For: Year-Round (Ambassadors), September-March (Cyber-Guides), March 16-31, 2021 (Judges)
Description: The Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) is committed to answering the Nation’s need for increased STEM literacy and to expanding STEM education opportunities across the country to open doors to new career paths for American students that lead to a brighter tomorrow. eCYBERMISSION, an AEOP project, is an annual web-based STEM competition for 6th to 9th grade students that promotes teamwork, self-discovery, and the real-life applications of STEM. Teams of 3 to 4 students, with the help of a Team Advisor, create projects that identify and solve problems in their community. Students compete for State, Regional, and National Awards.
Previous National Finalist topics include combatting school bullying, reducing greenhouse gasses, improving water filtration systems for natural disaster areas, and improving helmet technology for better protection from traumatic brain injury. Currently, there are more than 4,000 teams registered from across the United States. Last year, more than $499,500 in prize money was given to students thanks to the efforts of eCYBERMISSION volunteers.
eCYBERMISSION volunteers are engineers, scientists, teachers, STEM enthusiasts and STEM professionals. These individuals play a crucial role in supporting over 18,000 students that compete in eCYBERMISSION each year. There are 3 volunteer opportunities AND volunteers can serve in multiple roles!
- People who have a passion for STEM and growing the next generation of STEM professionals
- Promote the eCYBERMISSION program to their community, colleagues, friends, employer, educational institutions, and many more in-person and virtually. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all outreach may be conducted virtually.
- Recruit students, Team Advisors, CyberGuides, VIrtual Judges and other Ambassadors
- Year-round opportunity, 1-2 hours per week, upon background check completion
- Ambassadors may also serve as CyberGuides
- Professionals working in STEM fields or with a background in STEM
- Provide online assistance and mentorship to teams online through CyberGuide Live Chats and our virtual mentoring platform Chronus
- September to March, typically 1-2 hours per week, upon background check completion
- Volunteer opportunity is 100% virtual
- CyberGuides may also serve as Ambassadors OR Virtual Judges
Volunteer Registration Link: https://www.ecybermission.com/register or email email@example.com for more information.
- People with a background or interest in STEM or Education
- Evaluate, comment, and score 10-15 student team submissions online at any time during the Virtual Judging Period, March 16-31, 2021
- Volunteer opportunity is 100% virtual
- Virtual Judges may also serve as CyberGuides OR Ambassadors