Mobile Post Scholarships
The Mobile Post's Scholarship Program was founded to encourage and assist qualified students who wish to pursue a college education in the field of engineering so that they, in turn, might further the goals and exemplify the ideals of SAME. Since 1993, the Mobile Post’s Scholarship Program has awarded $160,000 to local high school and college students in the field of Engineering and our program is steadily expanding. Our program is supported by our annual Scores for Scholars Golf Tournament, which is sponsored and attended by our member companies. Thanks to their support, our post currently offers two Mobile Post Scholarships, one USA Student Chapter Scholarship, and one SAME-ATKINS Scholarship.
The Mobile Post Scholarship provides $2,000 per year for up to 4 years ($8,000 per recipient) and is awarded to upcoming freshmen who will major in Engineering or Architecture. Recipients must maintain a 2.5 grade point average, continue to major in Engineering or Architecture, and must become a member of SAME (student membership is free) to continue to receive the scholarship. Recipients are assigned to a SAME Mentor from the Mobile Post and are responsible for meeting the SAME Mentor to discuss academic transcripts prior to receiving the funds for the next academic year. Applicants must:
- Be a resident of Mobile County or Baldwin County, AL
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Be accepted by a four-year college or university
- Be an upcoming college freshman with a declared major in Engineering or Architecture
Selection of recipients is based on scholastic achievement, leadership, evidence of good character and well-rounded personal development, and dedication to achieving a career in the field of Engineering or Architecture. In case of a tie based on the above selection criteria, financial status is considered.
The USA Student Chapter Scholarship provides $2,000 in financial assistance to an Engineering Major at the University of South Alabama. To be eligible for a SAME USA Student Chapter Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a full-time student in a graduate or undergraduate program at the University of South Alabama
- Have a declared major in Engineering
- Have a minimum 3.0 grade point average
- Be a member of the SAME Student Chapter
Selection of the USA Student Chapter Scholarship recipients will be based on the following criteria:
- Scholastic achievement
- Military and/or Engineering Work Experience
- Evidence of good character and well-rounded personal development
- Dedication to achieving a career in the field of Engineering
- Participation in the SAME Student Chapter
How to Apply
Application forms and instructions are available under the Links section, at the top of this webpage. If you have any questions, or if you would like to donate to the SAME Mobile Post Scholarship Program, please contact Dehyrl Middleton at email@example.com.