The Society of American Military Engineers leads collaborative efforts to identify and resolve national security infrastructure-related challenges. Founded in 1920, SAME unites public and private sector individuals and organizations from across the architecture, engineering, construction, environmental and facility management, cyber security, project planning, contracting and acquisition, and related disciplines in support of national security.
Headquartered in Alexandria, Va., SAME provides its more than 30,000 members extensive opportunities for training, education and professional development through a robust offering of conferences, workshops, networking events and publications. With a membership that includes recent service academy graduates and retired engineering officers, project managers and corporate executives, uniformed and public sector professionals and private sector experts, SAME bridges the gaps between critical stakeholders to help secure our nation. Click here to view SAME's military ranks poster, which features ranks and insignia of each of the military services.
SAME consists of 105 Posts and more than 50 Student Chapters and Field Chapters around the world along with a headquarters staff. Nationally, the organization is led by a volunteer Board of Direction that comprises five National Officers, 17 Regional Vice Presidents, the Chairs of the Mission Committees & Councils, as well as 12 Elected Directors who serve three-year terms and are elected in groups of four annually. Click here to view past SAME National Presidents since 1920.
“Build leaders and lead collaboration among government and industry to develop multidisciplined solutions to national security infrastructure challenges.”
“Serve our nation as the foremost integrator for leadership development and technical collaboration within the A/E/C profession.”
- Integrity: Unwavering commitment to always do what is right, regardless of consequences.
- Patriotism: Support our national ideals and take pride in our country.
- Public Service: Recognize the critical contribution that public servants make in supporting the economic and environmental needs of the nation.
- National Security: Recognize the dedication of our national security team, comprised of the uniformed services, civil service and contractors, in defending freedom.
- Technical Competence: Deliver high-quality solutions.
- Excellence: Strive for the highest standards of performance in all actions, both personal and professional.
- Environmental Stewardship: Preserve, protect, conserve and restore our national resources through sustainable development.