SS-4 EIN Form and Instructions
Click here to download the SS-4 EIN Form as an interactive PDF. Please be sure to follow the instructions below for filing the SS-4 Form. If you have any questions, please contact the SAME Training and Post Operations Department.
Filing an SS-4 Form
Form SS-4 is used to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). All Posts are required to have a valid EIN to take advantage of SAME National Headquarters’ (SAME HQ) nonprofit tax exemption status and to establish a Post bank account.
Post leaders are required provide SAME HQ with copies of the SS-4 Form and the IRS reply letter assigning an EIN number to the Post.
Send materials by fax to 703-548-1463, or
Mail materials to:
Society of American Military Engineers
ATTN: Post Operations Specialist
607 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3117
SS-4 Form Filing Instructions
- Download Form SS-4 and print it out to use as a reference when filling out the application online; important information fields have been pre-filled for your convenience.
- To file the application online click here and complete the form, referring to the template downloaded from the SAME Web site as needed.
- File only one (1) Form SS-4.
Important: Applicants with international addresses, including Puerto Rico, may not file the application online. International applicants who are authorized to sign an SS-4 Form must call 215-516-6999 to complete the process by telephone with an IRS Representative.
- Line 1 — Enter the legal name of the Post applying for the EIN exactly as it appears on the Post Charter. Use the full legal name shown on Line 1 on all Post tax returns filed.
- Line 2 — Enter the “trade name” of the business entity only if it is different from the legal name in Line 1.
- Line 3 — Enter the Post Treasurer’s name (first name, middle initial, last name) as the “Executor, administrator, trustee, ‘care of’ name.”
- Line 4, a and b — Enter the Post’s permanent mailing address for correspondence. Generally, this address will be used on all tax returns.
- Line 5, a and b — Provide the entity’s physical address if different from the mailing address shown in lines 4 a and b. Do not enter a P.O. Box number.
- Line 6 — Enter the Post’s primary physical location.
- Line 10 — If you are starting a new Post, enter the Charter date. If the Post is already established, enter either the Charter date or last Officer Transition date.
- Line 18— Check the applicable box in 16a to indicate whether or not the Post was previously issued an EIN. (Generally, the answer to this question will be “No”)