OVERVIEW & FEATURES
At more than 150 pages, this hardcover book will be filled with archival material from SAME’s rich past, perspectives from past and current members, milestones of note, a timeline of engineering history over the last century, distinguished leaders, insights on the Society’s role in leading collaboration throughout our first 100 years, and examples of the engineering profession working together to solve national security infrastructure-related challenges.
- Who. What. When. The Century Book features six chapters taking you from the founding of the Society in 1920 to our Centennial Centennial in 2020…and even farther into our second century of service to the nation, and the profession.
- The Inside Stories. Featuring five sorbet sections that explore the people and achievements behind Sustaining Membership, Posts, The Military Engineer, and more.
- Profiles in Leadership. Discover the leaders of SAME over the last century and distinguished members who have made in impact on our legacy.
- Milestones in History. Explore critical engineering advancements over the last 100 years, and when and where SAME members have played a role.
- Past. Present. Future. Steadfast devotion is a hallmark of SAME and its members. Read how we have stood by our commitment to industry-government engagement, national security, and patriotism time and time again.
- From the Archives. Enjoy never-before-seen photos from our archives, letters from engineering leaders, and other historical artifacts collected together for the first time.
ABOUT THE CENTURY BOOK
In recognition of its Centennial in 2020, SAME undertook the commissioning of an anniversary book that will both chronicle its first 100 years and outline where the Society is headed to begin its second century of service to the nation, and the profession. SAME: The Second Century Begins – Preparing for the Future by Building on the Past will be published in May 2021, in time for the culmination of SAME’s three-year Centennial Celebration at the 2021 JETC.
The book will examine how and why the Society was founded, and its importance since 1920 in bringing the greater body of engineering professionals from the military, public, private, and academic together to solve infrastructure challenges, build trust, increase readiness, and support the next generation of leaders. Included within will be archival material from SAME’s history, perspectives from past and current members, milestones of note, distinguished members, insights on the Society’s role in leading collaboration throughout the last 100 years, and examples of the total engineering profession working together to solve national security infrastructure-related challenges.
From the beginning, a major goal was for the book to not just articulate our past but to also define our future—how our members, partners, and stakeholders are embracing SAME’s unique role in enhancing industry-government collaboration, strengthening resilience throughout our communities, producing STEM professionals for the nation, developing leaders for the profession, and preparing veterans for the A/E/C industry.