Mentoring & Recognition
Highlight your achievements or those of another YP in TME! Please use the following Spotlight Nomination form, or contact James Buckingham, Mentoring & Recognition Vice-chair, with any questions.
Have a Post Event or YP Achievement to share in our next newsletter? Contact Summer Gladden, Communications Vice-chair.
Engineering & Construction Camps
Each spring, the Engineering & Construction Camps recruit volunteers to serve as mentors and camp counselors! Visit the Camps page (click here) to learn more. Contact Tim Dahms, Acting Camps YP Liaison, with any questions.
2021 Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) Stipends
(Submissions have not opened for this stipend award.)
A limited number of stipends to attend the 2021 Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) will be awarded to active SAME young professionals and enlisted members who have demonstrated support of SAME at the Post or National level and who might not otherwise be able to attend. The stipends will provide complimentary registration, travel (up to $500 CONUS and up to $1500 OCONUS) and a hotel stay of up to four nights. Recipients will be accepted based on: SAME participation; professional development; and accomplishments and deployments.
1. Industry or Government/Military
2. Young Professional who is 39 or under at the time of 2020 JETC.
3. Stipend recipients are expected to have 18 months of membership in SAME at time of application.
4. Active member of an SAME Post, Field Chapter or National Community of Interest for the past year (as reflected in the nomination form).
5. Must not have received a National level stipend in the past to attend a National event.
6. A letter of endorsement from the Post or Field Chapter President or COI Chair supporting the award of a stipend.
7. Completion of the online application form, which includes a short summary of SAME Participation; Professional Development; and Accomplishments and Deployments.
JETC--2021 Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) Travel Justification Letter Template
(Justification template has not been update for JETC2021.)
Attendance to JETC can be a key part of your professional development. You get to understand industry priorities, learn about new and innovative technologies, practices, and projects, and investigate emerging strategies in A/E/C. In addition, JETC offers a fantastic opportunity for networking, speaking to vendors and exhibitors, and getting exposure for your organization.
How can you present the value of attending to your leadership? The Young Professionals COI has developed a justification letter template to help you convey your request to your supervisor/leadership. Download the letter (click here) and customize it as you need so we can see you at JETC.
JETC--2021 Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) Affiliated YP Events
(Download Program Flyer here.)
- Pre-JETC YP/Fellow Connection (May 10-14): This is an opportunity to meet and network with a small group of other YPs and Fellows attending Virtual JETC the week prior to the event. Here’s how it works: YP and Fellow members that are registered for JETC by April 30th will receive an email invite to sign-up for the “Pre-JETC YP/Fellow Connection”. Those who sign up by May 7th will be randomly placed onto a small team of other YP and Fellow conference attendees and introduced to their team via email on May 10th. Your “Team Leader” will coordinate scheduling a 1-hour team video chat on a mutually agreeable date/time/platform prior to the 17th (the start of JETC).
- Pre-JETC Student Orientation (May 14, 4-5pm Eastern): This is a student member orientation led by the YP COI. The event will take place in the conference platform and will feature a short presentation on how to navigate the virtual conference in the week ahead. After that, a panel of SAME’s most recent Leadership Development Program participants will join us to share their own conference perspectives and tips and tricks for a fantastic JETC.
- YP/Student “College Night” (May 17, 5-6:30pm Eastern): This is an opportunity for students and YPs to meet and network in an informal environment prior to JETC. Don your university gear and be ready for interactive games. YP and student conference registrants will receive a calendar invite with link to participate.
- YP/Fellow Networking Roulette (May 20, 5-6:30pm): Back by popular demand, this is an opportunity for YP and Fellow conference registrants to meet and network in an informal, happy hour setting. Grab your drink of choice and have your webcam ready for our fun and interactive “Networking Roulette”! Participants will be selected at random to introduce themselves and answer a question related to home/work life (this is a trivia-free zone!) while the audience plays along in the chat. YP and Fellow conference registrants will receive and calendar invite with link to participate.
SBC--2021 Virtual Federal Small Business Conference (Nov. 4-6) Travel Justification Toolkit
(Justification template has not been update for SBC2021.)
We’re excited that you’re looking to incorporate Virtual SBC, Built by the Experts, into your schedule and want to support your business case to help you attend. As part of these efforts, we’ve put together this Attendee Justification Toolkit, providing you with must-know information about the event for you and your supervisor. We hope you find this toolkit useful in making your case for attending Virtual SBC this November 4-6, 2020. This premier event includes educational, one-on-one appointments, and networking opportunities to help further your career.
Click here to access the VSBC Justification toolkit.
Credentialing Assistance Program
The SAME Young Professionals Community of Interest is continuing the Credentialing Assistance Program (CAP) to promote the professional development of SAME Young Professionals and Enlisted Members in support of the SAME Strategic Plan. The CAP serves to fulfill an objective which is to provide financial support for professional development, education, and mentoring initiatives to benefit our SAME members.
SAME will reimburse a portion of exam sitting or registration fees for Young Professionals. The full program details and application are located here. For questions regarding the program and to submit your application, please contact Tim Dahms, YP Vice-chair for Credentialing.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For full program details, click here. [PDF] | To download the application form, click here. [PDF]