Robert B. Flowers Small Business Award
The Robert B. Flowers Small Business Award was first presented in 2004 for calendar year 2003 and was named in honor of former SAME National President Lt. Gen. Robert B. Flowers, USA (Ret.) in April 2004. For calendar years 2001 and 2002, SAME presented a plaque to a Small Business under the auspices of the J.W. Morris Award. In 2003, the Board of Direction separated this award from the J.W. Morris Award and established new criteria.
A company that has had at least one Post Sustaining Membership in the past three years and is a classified Small Business in at least one NAICS category as of the date of nomination. Small businesses that have received this award in the past 3 years are not eligible to submit.
- Extent to which the company appoints individuals to sustaining member representative positions for each Post affiliation;
- Extent to which company representatives take on leadership positions at the Post level, including Board of Direction and committees and National Councils;
- Extent to which company supported Young Member participation in Society activities and mentoring programs;
- Extent to which the company supports K-12, College Outreach and community service activities;
- Extent to which the company participates in Small Business programs sponsored by The Society or public agencies;
- Extent to which the company advertises in TME─The Military Engineer magazine, or Real TiME or the Directory of Member Companies & Organizations;
- Extent to which the company exhibits and sponsors at SAME region and national conferences.
Nomination and Submission Process:
A company must nominate itself for the award. Written endorsements from Posts are welcome as part of the nomination package.
- No nominations will be processed without a complete nomination package.
Completed Nomination Packages Include:
- nomination summary detailing how the nominee meets each of the stated criteria
- 250 word citation
- supporting endorsement letters (if required)
- company logo in .jpg or .tif format, at a resolution of 300 dpi, uploaded with all other supporting documents.