The mission of the SAME Young Professionals Community of Interest (YP COI) is to be an advocate for and engage young professionals in support of the SAME Strategic Plan through outreach, training, networking and recognition. The COI provides educational programming, hosts networking activities, promotes leadership and engagement opportunities, and emphasizes recognition of young professionals within the Society.
Mentoring & Recognition. Highlight your achievements or those of another YP in TME! Please use the following Spotlight Nomination form, or contact Summer Gladden, Communications Vice Chair, with any questions.
Communications. Have a Post Event or YP Achievement to share in our next newsletter? Contact Summer Gladden, Communications Vice Chair.
Engineering & Construction Camps. Each spring, SAME’s Engineering & Construction Camps recruit volunteers to serve as mentors and camp counselors. Visit the camps webpage to learn more. Contact Kelvin Edmonds, Acting Camps YP Liaison, with any questions.
Credentialing Assistance Program
SAME believes that the engineering community is strengthened when engineers and other practictioners obtain professional licensure and certifications. To assist this, the Credentialing Assistance Program (CAP) is provided as a member benefit to reimburse anyone who obtains certain credentials. Reimbursement can apply to exam fees or study materials. For complete information and restrictions visit the CAP webpage. For additional information, contact Tim Dahms, Vice Chair for Credentialing.
Suzanne Grix, Forgen
Immediate Community Chair
Corey Weaver, P.E., F.SAME, USACE DSMMCX/LRD DSPC
Programs/Education Vice Chair: Elena Soto, EIT, Jacobs
Credentialing Vice Chair: Tim Dahms, P.E., NAVFAC
Communications Vice Chair: Summer Gladden, LEED AP, BD+C, CF APMP, Leebcor
Conferences Vice Chair: Nick Tomkins, Sevenson Environmental Services
SAME POC: Jeannine Finton, SAME National Office
2024 Young Professional/Enlisted Member JETC Stipend Application
Stipends to attend the 2024 Joint Engineer Training Conference and Expo (JETC) will be awarded to active SAME Young Professionals (YP) and Enlisted members who have demonstrated support of SAME at the Post, Regional, and/or National level and who might not otherwise be able to attend. Young Professional recipients must attend the YP Community of Interest (COI) Meeting and Enlisted Members must attend the Enlisted Member COI Meeting at JETC.
The stipends will provide complimentary registration, round-trip flights, and a hotel stay of up to four nights. Recipients will be accepted based on: SAME Participation; Professional Development; and Accomplishments. Questions on Young Professional and Enlisted Stipends can be directed to Jeannine Finton.
Applications will close March 1, 2024
- Young Professionals (Industry, Government, or Military) who are 39 or under at the time of 2024 JETC or Enlisted Members (Active, Guard, or Reserve)
- SAME member for at least 18 months prior to stipend application deadline date. Join date before October 1, 2022
- Active member of a SAME Post, Field Chapter, and/or National COI for the past year (as reflected in the application form)
- Completion of the online application form, which includes a short summary of SAME Participation; Professional Development; and Accomplishments
- A letter of endorsement from the Post or Field Chapter President or COI Chair supporting the nominee of a stipend
* Note: Priority will be given to individuals who have never attended JETC or have not previously been awarded a stipend.
- Up to 10 stipends will be awarded.
- The Application Period will close March 1, 2024
- Stipend recipients will be notified via e-mail by March 15.
- Stipends will receive complimentary airfare to attend the 2024 JETC (or mileage and parking reimbursement for those in driving distance). Bookings must be completed by April 1.
- Stipend recipients will receive a complimentary hotel stay of up to four nights (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) to attend. Stipend recipients are required to stay at the assigned hotel.
- Stipend recipients receive complimentary Full Conference Registration.
- Upon notification of being offered a stipend, awardees will need to confirm they are able to accept the stipend. Then they will receive instructions on how to register for the conference and make hotel and travel reservations.
- Before accepting stipends, nominees must obtain approval from their supervisor and Federal employees (military and civil service) should seek the advice from their local ethics counselor. Military personnel are expected to obtain the government rate at their selected hotel and should adhere to current regulations regarding wearing of the uniform
- Recipients must provide a short 1-2 paragraph summary of their activities at the conference that demonstrates the value of their attendance. Summaries should be submitted to Jeannine Finton, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 2 weeks after the conference. Failure to send the summary could result in a registration fee charge to your record.
Application deadline: Friday, March 1, 2024View the application form to apply
SAME National Webinars
USACE Galveston District Portfolio Briefing and Discussion of Integrating More Collaborative Delivery MethodologyJoin this informative webinar on the Galveston District Civil Works Portfolio from both a design and construction perspective. The presenter will lead a discussion focusing on collaborative delivery methodology and ways the district seeks to increase efficiency in their delivery capabilities through this collaborative approach while leveraging additional Industry/Government Engagement.
Davis-Bacon Act: Are You Up to Date?Are you concerned about potential debarment or being compliant with the myriad of labor laws, including the Davis-Bacon Act, McNamara-O’Hara Service Contract, Contract Works Hours, and Safety Standards Act?
- MEWA Arena
Rhein-Main Young Professionals Networking EventNetworking and Football sponsored by Rhein-Main Young Professionals
Smaller Modular Reactor and Microreactor LandscapeWith the growing demand for clean and reliable energy, small modular reactors and microreactors have a pivotal role to play in the clean energy transition. In this webinar, we will delve into the latest developments in advanced reactor technologies