J.W. Morris Company Member Award (Large Company)
The J.W. Morris Company Member Award is named in honor of Lt. Gen. John W. Morris, USA (Ret.). The award was first presented to an SAME Company Member (large company) in 1981.
In order to be eligible for the award, an SAME Company Member in the private sector must be a Company Member of at least two or more SAME Posts in each of the previous five years. Large companies that have received this award in the past 5 years are not eligible to submit.
The company will be evaluated based on the extent to which during the previous calendar year:
- Company representatives take on leadership positions at the Post, Region and National level, including Board of Direction, standing committees and conference planning committees.
- Company supports Young Member participation in Society activities and mentoring programs.
- Company supports veteran transition and industry-government engagement activities.
- Company supports K-12, College Outreach and community service activities.
- The number of Posts supporting the nomination with validation of the company’s participation during the past year (in the form of attached letters of support).
- The company advertises in SAME publications (The Military Engineer, Real TiME or the Directory of Member Companies & Organizations).
- The company exhibited and sponsored activities/events at SAME National and Region Conferences.
- A company must nominate itself for the award. Written referrals from Posts are welcome as part of the nomination package.
- No nominations will be processed without a complete nomination package.
Completed Nomination Packages Include:
- nomination summary detailing how the nominee meets each of the stated criteria
- 250 word citation
- supporting endorsement letters (if required)
- company logo in .jpg or .tif format, at a resolution of 300 dpi, burned to disc or included on flash drive
2021 – WSP
2020 – AECOM
2017 – Jacobs
2016 – CDM Smith
2015 – Jacobs
2014 – [Not Awarded]
2013 – CH2M Hill
2012 – Atkins
2011 – Weston Solutions
2010 – Parsons
2009 – HDR
2008 – URS Corp.
2007 – Jacobs Carter Burgess
2006 – AMEC
2005 – MWH Americas Inc.
2004 – Michael Baker Corporation †
2003 – Large Business(es) – Stanley Consultants Inc. and Weston Solutions Inc.
2003 – Small Business – Environmental Chemical Corporation
2002 – Large Business – Arcadis
2002 – Small Business – ABMB Engineers Inc.
2001 – Large Business -Foster Wheeler Environmental Corp.
2001 – Small Business – Engineering Consulting Services Ltd.
2000 – Huitt-Zollars Inc.
1999 – Arcadis Geraght & Miller Inc.
1998 – Sverdrup Corp.
1997 – Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mendenhall
1996 – Rust International inc.
1995 – CH2M Hill
1994 – STV Group
1993 – Dames & Moore
1992 – Sverdrup Corp.
1991 – The Schemmer Assoc., Inc.
1990 – Global Associates
1989 – USKH Inc.
1988 – Parsons Brinckerhoff Inc.
1987 – 3M
1986 – Henningson, Durham & Richardson
1985 – Black & Veatch
1984 – Holmes and Narver
1983 – The American Dredging Co.
1982 – Walk, Haydel & Assoc. Inc.
1981 – Dalton, Dalton, Newport
* 2001 was the first year in which SAME gave J.W. Morris Sustaining Member of the Year Awards to both small and large businesses.
† In 2004, the Small Business Award was separated and renamed for former SAME president Lt. Gen. Robert B. Flowers, USA (Ret.) .