SAME: The Second Century Begins – Preparing for the Future by Building on the Past is the award-winning* publication marking the first 100 years of the Society of American Military Engineers. Filled with a combination of unique archival material from the past century of engineering history and an unprecedented look at tomorrow, this commemorative book is a never-before-attempted survey of SAME’s past, present, and future.
Dive into the compelling stories, unique perspectives, and rare insights into the sweeping contributions of members over the years. The perfect commemoration of SAME’s first century—and the perfect foundation for our second one!
Order Your Copy
- Price is $38.95 with free shipping: includes all CONUS addresses (including APO/FPO); overseas orders, the cost is $38.95 plus shipping.
- Bulk orders of 10 or more copies receive a discount of 15% off the order.
- To order, contact Otis Carter at email@example.com, or 703-549-3800 Ext. 112.
About the Century Book
In recognition of its Centennial in 2020, SAME commissioned an anniversary book that will both chronicle the first 100 years of Society history and outline where the organization is headed to begin its second century of service to the nation, and the profession. This hardcover book (180 pages) is filled with archival material from SAME’s rich past, perspectives from members, milestones of note, a timeline of engineering history over the last century, distinguished leaders, insights on the Society’s role in leading collaboration throughout our first 100 years, and examples of the engineering profession working together to solve national security infrastructure-related challenges.
- Who. What. When. The Century Book features six chapters taking you from the founding of the Society in 1920 to our Centennial celebration in 2020…and even farther into our second century of service to the nation, and the profession.
- The Inside Stories. Featuring five sorbet sections that explore the people and achievements behind Sustaining Membership, Posts, The Military Engineer, and more.
- Profiles in Leadership. Discover the leaders of SAME over the last century and distinguished members who have made in impact on our legacy, and scan lists of past awards winners, SAME Fellows, and other influential members.
- Milestones in History. Explore critical engineering advancements over the last 100 years, and when and where SAME members have played a role.
- Past. Present. Future. Steadfast devotion is a hallmark of SAME and its members; read how we have stood by our commitment to industry-government engagement, national security, and patriotism time and time again.
- From the Archives. Enjoy never-before-seen photos, letters from engineering leaders, and other historical artifacts collected together for the first time.
Published in partnership with Leverage Media, the book examines how and why the Society was founded, and its importance since 1920 in bringing the greater body of engineering professionals from the military, public, private, and academic together to solve infrastructure challenges, build trust, increase readiness, and support the next generation of leaders. A major goal of the Century Book was to not just articulate our past but also define our future—how our members, partners, and stakeholders are embracing SAME’s unique role in enhancing industry-government collaboration, strengthening resilience throughout our communities, producing STEM professionals for the nation, developing leaders for the profession, and preparing veterans for the A/E/C industry.
*The SAME Century Book took home Gold in the General Audience Book Category at the 2022 AM&P Excel Awards.
SAME Century Book
Published in 2021, The Second Century Begins: Preparing for the Future by Building on the Past is the official publication marking the first 100 years of SAME. Read a sneak peek of Chapter One, Why We Were Formed. Focusing on the early years of the Society, this chapter follows the young “association of engineers” in the years following World War I as it lays the groundwork for what would become a successful 100-year legacy of industry-government engagement and dedication to patriotism and national security.
“Once I started reading, I did not want to put it down. And even after 50 years of membership, I kept learning about the fantastic history, members, and leaders of our Society and only became more proud that I too chose to join SAME as a young officer. ”Lt. Col. Wendell “Buddy” Barnes, P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.), 100th SAME National President