Leader Development Program
The Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) is pleased to present the inaugural class of participants in the Leader Development Program (LDP). Eighteen (18) individuals from across the membership, one from each SAME region and one representing the International Committee, have been selected to participate in this professional development program.
Developed with support from the SAME Foundation, LDP identifies and cultivates talent from within the SAME membership to address the nation’s grand challenges. Participants explore individual strengths and team dynamics. The program supports the development of the next generation of world class military, government, civilian, and industry leaders for the Society and our Nation. LDP is a yearlong commitment beginning at the SAME Joint Engineer Training Conference (JETC) 2019 to be held in Tampa, FL. The graduation will be held at JETC 2020 in Washington D.C.!
Read about the program in the SAME Bricks and Clicks blog.
SAME and the SAME Foundation are proud to introduce the 2019-2020 LDP Inaugural Class:
- Ilana Almquist, Marketing Coordinator, Coffman Engineers, Inc. (Pacific Region)
- Holly Bigelow, Program Manager, Wood (European Region)
- MAJ Craig Bryant, P.E., Operations Officer, Fort Hood, TX (Texoma Region)
- Mark DeSouza, Civil Site Design Project Manager, Thomas & Hutton (Carolinas Region)
- Angela Gomez, Business Manager, KOMAN Construction LLC (Southwest Region)
- Patricia Graham, Project Geologist, EnSafe Inc. (New England Region)
- LT Mike Guaigua, Civil Engineer Corps, U.S. Navy (International Committee)
- Erin Krug, P.E., Structural Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Great Lakes Region)
- Sean Lebel, P.E., Operations Manager, AECOM (Mid-Atlantic Region)
- LCDR Sam Lee, Civil Engineer, U.S. Navy (Northwest Region)
- Melissa Lewis, Supervisor Project Management, Scott Air Force Base (Missouri Region)
- Capt Brendan Maestas, Instructor, Wright-Patterson AFB (Ohio Region)
- Ben Nichols, Project Executive, Harkins Builders, Inc. (North Atlantic Region)
- Zakary Payne, Associate, Matrix Design Group, Inc. (Rocky Mountain Region)
- Claudia Penny, Assistant Project Manager, HCR Construction, Inc. (South Atlantic Region)
- Jorge Rodriguez, Senior Engineer, M.S. Hatch Consulting, LLC (California Region)
- Mary Ruiz, VP of Sales, Quaternary Resource Investigations, LLC (Lower Mississippi Region)
- Stephen Shattuck, Civil Engineer, formerly with LandMark Engineering (South Central Region)
Download the Participant bios here.
Download the LDP Task Force member bios here.
LDP seeks mentors willing to guide each participate through their professional development. Ideal candidates should located near their participant to aid in regular engagement opportunities. More information can be found on the mentor application.
Download the Mentor Application PDF file.
Call for Instructors
LDP also seeks instructors that can provide monthly webinars as part of the program curriculum. If you are interested in being an instructor on on a wide range of topics such as leadership, team dynamics, or personal growth, see the instructions in the Call for Instructors.
Download the Call for Instructors PDF file
Learn More about the Leader Development Program
Working with support from the SAME Foundation, the Leader Development Program (LDP) was developed to identify and cultivate A/C/E leadership from within the SAME membership. Through this program, SAME fills a vital training gap within our industry, delivers value to our members and Posts, and ensures strong leadership for the future our nation.
May 7, 2019 – May 29, 2020
October 31, 2018 – December 21, 2018
The program is a yearlong commitment beginning at the SAME Joint Engineer Technical Conference (JETC) 2019 to be held in Tampa, FL. The graduation will be held at JETC 2020 in Washington D.C.!
The one-year program is broken into three themes
- Know Yourself
- Know Your Team
- Know Your Future
The opening kick-off at JETC 2019 will be facilitated by a professional experienced in the science of personality strength assessment and leadership coaching with the goal of identifying how each candidate’s perception of the world around them informs their decision-making, and ultimately defines their values and beliefs.
The face-to-face at JETC 2019 will set the foundation for the rest of the year. The inaugural class will consist of 17 candidates, 1 from each SAME region. We plan to grow participation in subsequent years.